The Association of Fundraising Professionals - Greater Madison Chapter funds educational scholarships to encourage participation in professional education courses and to help individuals serving nonprofit organizations develop their knowledge and skill in fundraising.
All members, regardless of level of experience, are eligible to apply for these scholarships. In addition, many scholarships are open to non-members of the organization. The Greater Madison Chapter awards scholarships on a rolling basis during a calendar year. Funds will be awarded until the deadline is reached, or until funds are depleted. Please apply as early as possible and allow at least 45 days to process your application.
General Rules For All Scholarships
Scholarship recipients must reside or work in the Greater Madison area.
- A recipient is only eligible for one scholarship each year. If awarded a scholarship, you must wait until the next calendar year to apply for a scholarship.
- Scholarship recipient is responsible for any additional fees or expenses outside of the awarded scholarship including fees incurred from making changes to their reservations.
- Scholarships are nontransferable.
- Scholarship recipient agrees that if they do not attend the opportunity for which they’ve received a scholarship, scholarship recipient will reimburse AFP Greater Madison the full amount of the scholarship funds they or any organization received.
Fundraising Courses, Trainings, and Professional Development Scholarships
From time to time throughout the year, AFP Greater Madison Chapter will announce scholarships for specific trainings or conferences. In addition, individuals are invited to request a scholarship for an opportunity they have found. Scholarships are intended to help you increase your professional competency in areas directly related to fundraising. During the application process you have the opportunity to share how the opportunity will support your work. Scholarship amounts may range in award amount. The recipient is responsible for paying any additional amount if the scholarship award is unable to cover the full amount. The uses for these funds will typically include:
- Regional or national training/education conference, workshop or course that is directly related to your fundraising responsibilities. The opportunity can be offered by any organization, not just AFP.
- CFRE Certification or CFRE Re-Certification
- Professional development or training that may involve travel to one or more peer organizations (regionally or nationally) for onsite visits to learn about their best practices and improve your skills as a fundraiser.
- Any other opportunities to increase your professional competency in fundraising.
Deadline: We accept applications throughout the year, as needed and as funds allow. Please apply as early as possible and allow at least 45 days to process your application.
Requirement After Award:
- Write and submit an article of 500 words for publication in the chapter’s newsletter about your experience. *If writing is not your strong suit, you may opt to share your experience verbally at an event or through a video recording.
- Once you are notified that you have received a scholarship, it is your responsibility to pay for and complete any registration, hotel reservations and advance purchase of tickets.
- You will receive a check for your scholarship based on your application and the approved scholarship amount. Please allow 2 weeks before a check is issued. The check will be written to you as an individual.
- You may use the scholarship funds toward registration/course fees, travel, or lodging unless specifically outlined in your award letter.
How to Apply:
- Fill out the required online form
- Please note that other attachments may be requested (letter/s of reference, resume) and will be noted on the online form.
- Application and all attachments are reviewed as they are submitted. Applications will not be accepted after November 15th each year. Please allow 45 days for review of your application.
If you need to inquire about a scholarship application, please reach out to Angela Davis.
Remembering Boris Frank
The AFP Greater Madison Board of Directors would like to extend our gratitude to the Frank family for requesting memorial gifts go to our chapter’s Boris Frank “Emerging Leaders” Scholarship. As many of our community, teaching was Boris’ passion and he came alive in the classroom. This scholarship fund honors his dedication to education by providing support to AFP members. We’re honored to hold Boris’ memory close by continuing his work in the years to come.
To make a memorial gift to the scholarship fund, click here. You may also mail gifts to AFP Greater Madison, C/O Jen Davie, Chapter Director, 1746 Oconto Drive, Sun Prairie, WI 53590. Questions: contact Jen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below are suggestions of possible scholarship opportunities!
Annual AFP International Conference (ICON)
Deadline to Apply: February 15, 2023 to give yourself time to register for the conference.
Scholarships Awarded: Several awards at $1,000 each
Date: April 16-18, 2023
Description: AFP ICON awaits with more than 100 sector-shifting sessions covering the most important topics in fundraising and countless ways to grow your network. Don't miss out, register today and join the 3,500 strong at AFP ICON! This conference is coordinated by AFP Global.
Opening Keynote Speaker: Allyson Felix, Mom, Seven-Time Olympic Champion, Time's 100 Most Influential, Activist
To read more about the conference schedule, visit them online at afpicon.com/
Boris Frank "Emerging Leaders" Scholar
Honoring a founding member
Deadline to Apply: Annually by December 15
Description: We celebrate and honor the memory of Boris Frank's longstanding and impactful fundraising career, along with his dedication to mentoring new generations in our profession. Boris was an original member of our Greater Madison AFP Chapter. Each year an Emerging Leader Scholar is named in his honor.
To be eligible for this scholarship, an individual will be interested in furthering their professional development in partnership with AFP and AFP Greater Madison. Boris’s focus was to ensure that everyone had access to learning how to become an ethical and community centered fundraiser. All current and potential AFP Members are encouraged to apply.
The Scholar will receive the following benefits:
1-year paid membership with AFP Global and AFP Greater Madison
Complimentary registration to four AFP Greater Madison programs of their choice
1 Ticket to Fundraising Day Wisconsin
1 Ticket to National Philanthropy Day
CFRE Certification and Renewal
A voluntary credential that is recognized worldwide, the CFRE signifies a confident, ethical fundraising professional.
It is how today’s fundraiser shows accountability, service, and commitment to making a difference for good. We believe the CFRE credential is vital to a fundraiser’s professional growth and that it sets the standard for ethical practice in the sector.
Scholarships can be used toward your Initial Certification or your Re-Certification.
The CFRE International certification process has two parts:
- a written application
- a written examination
Candidates must meet the requirements of the written application before they are permitted to test. The written application does not have a fee associated with it. Scholarships would be used specifically for the exam portion of the certification or the re-certification fee.
Click to learn more about CFRE Certification.
CFRE Refresher Class
Date: 2022 Madison, WI TBD or nationwide
Description: The AFP CFRE Refresher Course uses case studies to provide a “refresher” of the six fundraising knowledge domains and the core principles and concepts that all experienced fundraising professionals should know. While the course is designed as a refresher and not an in-depth review, course delivery is flexible with 1-day and 2-day options to allow extra time for discussion.
The course is taught in an active learning style and includes mini case studies (“caselets”) for group discussion, making the learning experience both substantive and enjoyable.
The course is worth 8 or 16 CFRE continuing education credits depending on the 1-day or 2-day delivery option.
The AFP CFRE Refresher course is offered each year as a pre-conference workshop at AFP ICON. It’s also offered by AFP chapters that take advantage of AFP’s course hosting program. If you are looking to take the class prior to our local offering, you can search for options here.
Choose your own!
Description: There are a vast amount of opportunities to increase your knowledge. Your job and skillset will vary greatly than the next person. We encourage you to find your own opportunity and apply for a scholarship to help cover the cost.
We also encourage you to reach out to us and fellow colleagues to ask what conferences and opportunities they have attended. Personal recommendations can be helpful in finding a good quality professional development opportunity.
You can also apply for a scholarship to attend an AFP Greater Madison lunch program or any local opportunity!