Monona Terrace is looking for an experienced sales associate who will represent and promote Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center to prospective and existing clients. The Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center is a place where nearly a half a million people gather each year to share, learn, grow, plan, design, and connect with one another. From formal events like conventions and conferences to public events like Dane Dances, Monona Terrace has wide geographical draw attracting local, regional, state, and international events each year. This Frank Lloyd Wright-designed building is a treasured community asset that has far reaching economic, business and quality of life impacts. This facility is located in the heart of Madison's vibrant downtown on the shore of Lake Monona, two blocks from the State Capitol. Its spectacular multi-level structure features public promenades, meeting rooms with striking lake views, and the attached 240-room Hilton Madison Monona Terrace. In addition to 85,000 square feet of interior function space, gracing the rooftop are 68,000 square feet of gardens that may be reserved for events. Meeting/exhibition space includes a 40,000 square foot exhibit hall, a 14,000 square foot ballroom, 315 seat lecture hall and 20 additional meeting rooms totaling 28,000 square feet.
This position involves responsible sales work associated with the activities of Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center. The work involves delivering an exceptional and inspirational experience to clients by securing and booking facility usage for events such as; meetings, seminars, retail and trade shows, exhibits, and entertainment events, as well as occasional conferences and other related activities.
This work involves extensive public contact and sales activities and is performed under the general supervision of the Monona Terrace Sales Manager (Director of Sales.)
THIS IS AN UNCLASSIFIED POSITION EMPLOYED UNDER AN INDIVIDUAL EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT WITH AN INCENTIVE PAY COMPONENT OF UP TO 15% OF THE BASE SALARY. THE INCENTIVE IS IN ADDITION TO THE BASE SALARY SHOWN ABOVE.
Applications received without an attached essay response will immediately be eliminated from consideration.
- Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform activities relating to securing and booking facility usage for such purposes as meetings, seminars, retail and trade shows, exhibits, and entertainment events, as well as occasional conferences and other related activities. Attend sales conferences, trade shows, networking events and other related events to promote Monona Terrace usage and develop clientele.
- Coordinate cooperative sales campaigns and materials in association with the food service vendor, Destination Madison, and other business and community partners. Work cooperatively with Destination Madison to enhance usage of the Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center.
- Make sales and educational presentations and sales development calls to generate potential Center users. Maintain close contact and cooperation with clients during their events to ensure their needs are met. Conduct facility tours to point out features and facility capabilities. Explain polices, services and fees, and answer questions relative to facility usage and booking. Send materials and bid proposals to requesting businesses and organizations. Meet with client representatives to finalize agreements.
- Develop and maintain a network of client contacts. Prepare materials and reports on events and usage to be used to evaluate the achievement of marketing and facility usage goals.
- Work in cooperation with Monona Terrace Event Management staff to prepare cost estimates and negotiate rental agreements, and to ensure overall client satisfaction. Work in cooperation with the booking coordinator to reserve and confirm space usage.
- Participate in coordinating the operational aspects of events booked within 30 days. Maintain close contact and cooperation with clients during their events to ensure their needs are met. Provide general leadership to operational and catering staff for events that are coordinated by this position.
- Make recommendations on operational policies, procedures, and service changes, which will maximize client satisfaction.
- Perform related work as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Two (2) years of responsible sales and marketing experience in the convention, meeting planning, or hospitality industry.
- Graduation from college with a bachelor's degree in hospitality, marketing, business administration, or a related field.
- An associate's degree in meeting and event management, hospitality or a related field.
- Three (3) years of responsible sales and marketing experience in the convention, meeting planning, or hospitality industry.
If an applicant does not possess the specific requirements outlined above, HR will review the application materials to determine if the applicant possesses the following equivalent experience:
At least four (4) years experience in applying the following:
- Marketing and sales theories, techniques, and practices in convention, meeting planning, or hospitality industry.
At least two (2) years experience in applying the following:
- Computer applications as they relate to contact management, related record keeping, reporting activities, and event coordination.
The City of Madison strives to provide exceptional customer service to all its residents and visitors. Therefore successful candidates will have demonstrated ability to effectively work with multicultural communities.
For a complete list of the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities, please see the class specification.
- Special Requirements
- Ability to meet the transportation and travel requirements of this position.
- You will be expected to attend meetings, and assist with events outside the normal work schedule, including evenings and weekends.
- You must be able to physically access all areas of the Convention Center in order to assist with events.
- You will be required to attend occasional conferences and trade shows.
- Otherwise, work is generally performed in an office setting, using traditional office equipment, such as a phone, copier, computer, etc.